Monday, September 22, 2014

Week 25 - Slowing Down

9:34 AM Posted by Janette , No comments
So this week was slow. I think possibly the slowest week that I've had on mission since I got here. It stunk, but I learned a lot about myself and about the gospel, to which I am grateful for. This week was the most dropped appointments that I've ever experienced. It was looking like it was going to be a good week, but then things happened, and most of the people that we were going to see had to cancel for one reason or another. It is frustrating to have people cancel on you, especially when you realize that the gospel can bless their lives, but they don't want to take the time to see us because of something petty.

We still had a good week though, and got to see just about all of our investigators, and we did a bunch of less active work, and we were able to see the results of that at sacrament meeting where the entire chapel was full with people. That was an amazing sight to see the chapel full. We also were able to meet with a few new investigators and to teach them. Sunday this week was crazy. Each week we get allocated 500km to use in our work, and most weeks we use about 350km. On this past Sunday, we used 100km alone and brought our total for the week to 450. It was crazy when we had to pay for petrol. I really enjoy being a missionary. It is hard work and it takes time and effort, but it is way worth it. Also, time FLIES. Kira just reminded me that I am almost 1/4 of the way done. It doesn't feel like that at all. It has gone so quickly. I'm sure the rest of my mission will go just as quickly.

I love the gospel and what it has done for me. This week, my topic of study was how I can understand and recognize the Spirit, and it has been an eye opener. I have learned so much and I have grown so much more as a person. I love the time that I have to study, and I'm jealous of you Nate, because you have an additional hour of 'language study'.

In response to Mom,
"What do the people wear?  Is it more traditional, or have they adopted the western/American look?  When I see pictures of African wear, I see lots of bright colors - is that the case where you are?"
The people here wear normal clothes like we do for most of the day (t shirt and jeans/ white shirt and tie) but for cultural things, the get dressed up in the traditional garb and party that way. So where I am, it is just like home.

I'm going to do like Nate and start with different words from Xhosa. This week's word is Hikoloukou (Hi-coe-Lo-coo) meaning something bad, or showing disappointment, or someting went wrong. Fun word to use and it makes so much perfectness in day to day speach.
Until next week

0 comments:

Post a Comment